Saturday, November 21, 2015

CRBC Rating Guidelines

5.0 
One of the best books I have read in my lifetime. Outstanding in writing style and 
plot or historic content. It made a distinct impression on me and will stay with me 
for a long time to come. This is a book I would expect to become a work that 
stands the test of time and earns much acclaim in literary circles. I would 
recommend it widely, might give as a gift and may reread it in the future. 



4.0 
A book that stands above many of our club's choices and books I have read on 
my own. This book has the potential to be my favorite book of the year. I found 
the plot or nonfictional account compelling and the writing very impressive. I had 
a hard time putting it down and was sorry when it ended. I will definitely 
recommend it to others. 



3.0 
This is our benchmark for an average book. It was decent and balanced overall. 
I had little trouble finding the motivation to finish it. The writing was good in spots, 
but not across the board. The plot held my interest, but was not completely, “stay 
up way too late” riveting. I would consider recommending it to others that I know 
like this sort of book. 



2.0 
This book was below average. It had some definite weaknesses that ruined the 
reading experience for me. Examples would be that I didn’t like the writer’s style, 
the characters didn’t seem real to it me, it was too predictable or ended abruptly. 
It had potential, but it just didn't all come together. I would probably not 
recommend it to anyone. 



1.0 
This was a tough read for me. I just couldn't get into it due to the subject matter, 
the poor writing, the characters or something else. I really didn’t care for it, but I 
did finish it. 




NOTES: 


• When rating, consider relating the book to other works of its genre. (For 
example: you might not consider Harry Potter to be the best literary work you 
have ever read, but it might be the best young adult fiction you have 
experienced.) 


• If you did not complete the book, you can share how you feel about it so far, but 
we will not add your rating into the overall calculation. 


• Remember that what speaks to you may not to someone else and vice versa. If 
you want to rate a book high simply because it did a great job of entertaining you, 
that is fine. I think the idea is to reserve the rating of 5.0 for truly exceptional 
books, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment